Friday 15 November 2013

Lexical gaps - or why I love the German language.

One of the best things about learning foreign languages is that there are always words and phrases which cannot be translated into English.

Ha! In your face Google Translate!!!

I blogged about this earlier this year in a post called, That's easy for you to say.

Imagine my joy today, then, when I found a couple of youtube clips specifically dedicated to German words and phrases for which there is no translation.

The first is this one from American writer, Robyn Schneider (I love her voice!):



and the second is from Toby's GermanChannel TL which contains some amazing German idiomatic phrases:



If you're a student of all things German I thoroughly recommend them.

So if a Honigkuchenpferd offers you a cup of Muckefuck, you'll be well within your rights to call him a Sitzpinkler with a Backpfeifengesicht.

Which is your favourite?

Enjoy.

No comments: