Sunday 10 March 2013

That's easy for you to say...

As you are probably aware, I like languages.

One of the things I love about different languages is that there are some words which cannot be translated into English.

I found this picture on cheezburger.com which shows this to great effect:


I started searching the net for more examples and found a site called: betterthanenglish.com which is dedicated to these types of phrases.

One of my favourites is the hungarian word,

Donaldkacsázás 


which literally means "Donald Ducking" and is a word used to describe the act of wearing a shirt but nothing else whilst wandering around the house.

I also like: 

Tsundoku


the Japanese word for buying books but never reading them and allowing them to pile up at home. This is something I do a lot.

A further search found this site: ackuna.com/badtranslator

On this site you enter a phrase in English and it uses various online translators to keep translating your phrase into different languages and then back into English when it has something incredibly amusing or just completely unlike the original text.

So entering: 

I love learning French.

was translated as:

France is correct.

It's the most fun you can have with an online translator.

Or as bad translator would say: 

Get the best in online gaming.

2 comments:

lisibo said...

My oh my, you do make me laugh!

D said...

That 'bad translator' page is awesome! I'm so happy I stumbled across this blog post and found it! I'm a translator myself, and I find these automatic translations hilarious. :)
http://hennahaare.blogspot.co.uk