Sunday 3 June 2012

Songify on Android.


Most people who have the misfortune to be acquainted with me know that I'm not a big fan of Apple products.

There's no particular reason for this, by the way. Just irrational dislike.

There was only one thing which could have swayed me into buying an i-pad and that was Songify. Now I don't need any Apple products because Songify is now available for android.

Woo. Hoo.

For those who don't know, Songify is a piece of software (I can't bring myself to say "app") which changes speech into song.

You record your voice saying anything you like and Songify converts it into song. It really is that simple. Once you're happy with your creation you can save it.

If you're not happy you can keep recording and try different "tunes" until you are.

Once you have saved your song, you can email it, or share it on one of those social networks.

It is a fantastic way to motivate students and, as it changes voices beyond recognition, would even allow the least talkative of students to get involved in speaking in the target language. It can be used to make up songs to help remember grammar points, vocabulary, or you could even use it as the soundtrack to those powerpoints some teachers are so fond of.

I first heard of this last year at the Teachmeet at Cramlington Learning Village where the inimitable Steve Bunce demonstrated how songify could be used by getting members of the audience to record themselves reading a script. .

In his presentation, Steve showed us this youtube clip "Reality hits you hard, bro"  and I was really impressed.

Here is the link to one I made earlier.

It really is jolly good fun.


No comments: