Sunday 26 June 2011

CILT Cymru – Using peer assessment to improve writing skills

I was contacted a few weeks ago by Kristina Hedges from CILT CYMRU asking if I would allow them to put a link to a blogpost I wrote in November 2009 about effective feedback in one of their training modules. I was surprised and flattered (I still can't believe anyone reads this stuff!) and said "Yes" immediately. Kristina contacted me again last week to tell me that the module was on their website and give me the link.

The link was to one of CILT's training modules on Assessment for Learning entitled Barry Comprehensive - Using peer assessment to improve writing skills.

It is an excellent module and includes discussion points, activities to discuss before and after watching a video clip and some follow up activities (which is where the link to my blog can be found). I really like the module and think it would be useful to discuss and trial some of its ideas with my departmental colleagues.

Whilst browsing the CILT CYMRU site I came across another of their training modules, this time on skills based learning. This module shows how Blackwood Comprehensive has tried to raise student motivation and achievement by using interactive starters and games. Like the other module this comes with discussion points, activities and ideas for moving on.

I was impressed by both modules, they have given me a lot to think about and made me think about lots of different ways in which I can try to improve my own practice in the future.

2 comments:

Chiao said...

Hi, I like the idea of peer assessment. Actually I have participated the writing class with peer revision. It was quite useful for receiving peers' comments to improving my writing. I benefited from my writing peers' suggestions, and at the same time, I reexamined my work when providing opinions to other's writings. This kind of learning is bi-directional rather than accepting whatever that writing teacher said. The collaboration and the negotiation among writers and readers (peers) were powerful in improving the wiring quality.

Chiao said...

Hi, I like the idea of peer assessment. Actually I have participated the writing class with peer revision. It was quite useful for receiving peers' comments to improving my writing. I benefited from my writing peers' suggestions, and at the same time, I reexamined my work when providing opinions to other's writings. This kind of learning is bi-directional rather than accepting whatever that writing teacher said. The collaboration and the negotiation among writers and readers (peers) were powerful in improving the wiring quality.