Wednesday 1 April 2009

Languages Online from Australia

Well, hello there! Welcome back to my kitchen and my, now internationally famous, blog. It's true - check out my clustrmap below. Almost 15 people have now read this!



But let's get on to the serious stuff. Today I want to draw your attention to Languages Online.







http://www.education.vic.gov.au/languagesonline/








Another invaluable tool for language teachers and learners provided by State of Victoria (Department of Education and Early Childhood Development) in Australia. It is full of free resources in French, German, Indonesian, Chinese, Japanese and Italian. It contains over 220 interactive games and users can print out almost 200 worksheets.





If you teach primary there is a section which contains songs in mp3 format in French, German, Indonesian, and Italian with pdf files containing the lyrics. http://www.education.vic.gov.au/languagesonline/audio.htm#1





Here is a link to one of the lyrics pages in German:


http://www.education.vic.gov.au/languagesonline/german/sect01/pdfs/print2.pdf


It is very pupil friendly and the songs have simple tunes and are of a good quality.





But I like the downloadable programs for creating interactive games the best. You can use the programs to create text matching games, picture matching games, tetris games, sentence games, comprehension tasks, and once you get expert, there is a portal maker for you to organise your games and files to create links and sequences.

Here is a screenshot from one of the games:



As you can see all very nice and pupil-friendly and all the voices are native speakers.
Please give the site a few minutes of your time - you may save yourself a few hours of planning. It is completely idiot-proof - and I would know...

One final thing, let me know if you use any of these resources and thank the people at Languages Online, too.

I recommend it. I use it. I love it and, more importantly, my students love it. What more can I say? Fill your boots!
Dom.

No comments: